[Sunhelp] Mirroring drive and sendmail questions

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 03:55:37 CST 1999

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 14:28:07 -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

>There are LOTS of programs out there like GHOST for the PC, but I haven't
>seen any for SPARC yet.  Doesn't Solaris have some built in mirroring
>software?  I haven't played with it, but I seem to recall that it does, and
>if you mirrored to the new drive, you could probably grow the filesystem to
>fill the drive when you were done...

What about Solstice Disk Backup (or whatever it's called)?   I have a license
for it, since I "accidently" bought Solaris 2.6 Server.
Actually wanted 2.6 5/98 rev at the time, that was the only copy I could find. =)

>> Brand new drives do - especially the fast ones.  Hell, even some older
>> ones do :)
>
>It depends on what you get.  If you get a drive that's been recently
>manufactured, but not the latest tech, then it won't run so hot.  We just
>got a new server with some 9 gig 7200 RPM drives, and when I compare the
>temp on those to some 4gig 7200 RPM drive, the newer ones are MUCH cooler.
>These drives all came from the same manufacturer, just the newer ones run
>much cooler than the old ones.  I just put a 4 gig IBM drive in my ss20, and
>it's a LOT cooler than the two 1 gig drives that I had in there before.

Hmmm...

Sorta makes sense - newer technology allowing for less heat production I suppose.
Any recommendations on a specific drive?  Cost is a factor here, being a student, but I'd
like to eventually get DSL, a domain, and have this machine on the inet, thus the need
for more storage.

Paul