[Sunhelp] SS20 memory questions..

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Dec 11 15:47:26 CST 1999

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 10:38:18PM +0200, Dimitris S. Tsifakis wrote:
> Hello!
> I own a SPARCstation 20 with 4x16 megs ram. I want to buy 2x32 more, is
> there any problem with mixed 16 and 32 megs simms?

This is not a problem.

I also have an SM50
> cpu
> and i would like to ask if i could add an SM71.. Is there any
> possibility that
> the two processors will work together?

Nope - you can only safely do SMP if both processors are the -1 versions;
e.g., a SM51 and a SM71 would work together, but probably not WELL - you
should only mix CPUs that are close to the same speed (e.g., sm51/sm61,
sm61/sm71, sm41/51, etc).  You would probably run into bus speed problems
trying to run a '51 and a '71 together anyway.

You cant do SMP (most of the time) with the non-SuperCache CPUs (SM40/50).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net
                    mrbill at sunhelp.org   /   http://www.sunhelp.org