[Sunhelp] Rant/flame - Memory Maximus

Thomas Cameron tcameron at three-sixteen.com
Fri Dec 10 18:58:30 CST 1999

Howdy all -

Just had to vent about some atrocious service, and steer you away from
Memory Maximus (http://www.memorymax.com).

On Friday, December 3rd I ordered 4 32-meg DIMMs from Memory Maximus.  I
ordered them for a pair of Sparc 5's I picked up off of eBay.  I told the
sales rep that I was trying to get these systems up quickly for a customer
demo.  He assured me the memory would be here Monday.  Since I'm in Austin,
and they're in Dallas, I thought this would be simple.

Today (Friday, December 10), starting at about 11am, I started calling.  The
first time I was put on hold for seven or eight minutes.  Then the phone was
picked up and hung up.  I called back, tried to get to the same sales rep I
had spoken to when I ordered.  I was put on hold for over 10 minutes.  A
different sales rep finally came on and said that my credit card number was
invalid.  I asked why I hadn't been called, since I indicated upon ordering
that I needed the memory quickly.  He didn't know.  He read my card number
to me (?!?!), and it was the correct card number and expiration.  I asked
him to run it again, since it has been working fine and there's plenty of
room on it.  He said he'd call me right back.

Three hours later, no call from them, so I called back.  I was put on hold
for about 15 minutes this time, and then the phone was picked up and hung up
once again.

I called back, asked for a manager, and got a fellow named Brunton.  He told
me that he'd look into it and call me back.  I told him I'd been promised a
call back already, and he reassured me he'd call me right back.

Two hours later, right before 5pm, I called and cancelled the order.  The
lady to whom I spoke was pretty condescending, like I was being some kind of
jerk for canceling.

They have a bunch of listings on www.pricewatch.com.  My experience with
them was pretty terrible, and I'd recommend steering clear of them.

Regards,
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCP, MCT
Three-Sixteen Technical Services, Inc.

Linux training in Austin, Texas  -  http://training.three-sixteen.com