[Sunhelp] Mhz rating for chip?

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Dec 10 12:58:00 CST 1999

Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> Lo again, all,
>
> I'm inventorying some Sparc's for my company, and I'm trying to figure out
> exactly what speed the processors run at?  I know the processor name - it
> comes up on boot - but the Mhz rating?

Probably the easiest way it to go into the PROM and type 'module-info'
which should give you whatever info you want.

> Also - These are Sparc 10's, 2's, and 5's...anyone know the order these
> machines came out in?  (i.e. Sparc 5's are newer than Sparc 2's...?)  Does
> Sun have any reference page for their old machines?

Not really.  Sunhelp.org (you know, the place that hosts the list) has a
nice Sun Hardware Reference there, that you should read through.  It's
some REALLY good information.  To answer your questions, SPARCStation 2
is the oldest, then SS5, then SS10.  The SS10 has the most posibilities,
since it has processor modules that you can easily swap, and it can take
loads of ram, etc.  It could either be a slow machine, or a very fast
one, depending on config.  The SS5 also has a pretty decent range, but
not quite as big as the SS20.  The SS2 is slow, no matter what you do
with it.  :)  If you're looking to get rid of some of these, try the
sunrescue list at www.sunhelp.org.
	Greg