[Sunhelp] Quick SCSI question

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at cu-portland.edu
Tue Dec 7 12:32:11 CST 1999

james wrote:

> It got screwed up a bit in transit (too wide I expect).

All that hard work on my ASCII art for nothing.  :)

> Anyways, you do
> have a problem, you need to terminate the high bits in between the AIT
> drive and the DLT.  Either a special terminating cable is needed or you
> need to tell the AIT drive to terminate them (but not the low bits).

Looking at a bunch of different sites that I shop for cables, I don't
see any mention of termination on the cables.  Are these cables
"special" or do most drives have the ability to terminate just the high
bits internally?

> > I can't see any problems, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'm asking.  I expect
> > that all devices will have narrow IDs, but the AIT could have a wide, if we
> > added a bunch more drives.  Thanks,
>
> Wide SCSI adds an additional line for SCSI ID (giving you 4 bits instead
> of 3).  If you use a high ID (like 10) then it can conflict with narrow
> SCSI ID 2 on the same chain.

Well, I guess I'll stick with it on low SCSI IDs then.  :) Thanks again,
	Greg