[Sunhelp] EXACT!!! creation time of files

David Eisner cradle at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Aug 31 10:17:34 CDT 1999

Wolfgang,

It seems to me that they are saying:

There is no such command!  It is not possible to determine the
creation time of a file in the Second range on Solaris/Irix.
It can't be done.

The first message said, in effect, you can get close to what
you want, but not exaclty.

I don't think they can be any more explicit.

-David

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Wolfgang Engelien wrote:

> It is very kind of you to say that, but it
> would be even more kind to tell me the EXACT
> COMMAND, WHICH YOU HAVE TESTED BEFOR. Any ls
> command I tried does not give me an EXACT
> time as I have mentioned it. Here again,
>
> I want to be able to say for example:
> File X was created in December 6th 1998 14:05:45
> 	or
> file X was created 882988997 SECONDS after January 1st 1970.
>
> Thanks again,
> Wolfgang
>
> At 05:55 PM 8/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >The three times mentioned in the previous message are all you have to work
> with.
> >
> >On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 01:35:40PM -0400, Wolfgang Engelien wrote:
> >> Thank you very much. Unfortunatly this did not
> >> answer my question (as I meant it). So, let me
> >> rephrase my question:
> >>
> >> Is there a way to determin the creation time of a file
> >> in the SECOND range in Solaris/Irix? That means with
> >> the precesion of ca. one second.
> >>
> >> I want to be able to say for example:
> >> File X was created in December 6th 1998 14:05:45
> >> 	or
> >> file X was created 882988997 seconds after January 1st 1970.
> >>
> >> But thanks anyway,
> >> Wolfgang

> >> #####
> >> # Wolfgang Engelien
> >> # Tel.: (212) 746 3724
> >> # Fax.: (212) 746 5818
> >> # email: wolfgang at hanazono.med.cornell.edu
> >> #####

> >--
> >Mike Mangino                   Senior Programmer/Analyst
> >mangino at cis.ohio-state.edu     manginom at oclc.org
> >Home: (614) 326-2278           Work: (614) 764-6280

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |