[Sunhelp] Network Problem

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Thu Aug 26 14:28:25 CDT 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, sjha at omnipoint.com wrote:
>HI Gurus,
>
>I got two new SUN SPARC ULTRA 5. I hadn't work on sparc system.
>
>While configuring first time one machine is working on network but not in
>other. There is no NIC showing by "ifconfig -a".
>Since another SPARC shows "hme0" NIC up, I guess this machine must have same
>NIC. I tried " boot -r", same problem.
>
>Question is : what to do so that SPARC will detect the inbulit NIC ?
>
>Thanks,
>San

 I'm not sure why your NIC wasn't recongnized during the initial installation,
if the device was in the machine. But you can set it up a few ways, try this.

1: Make certain that you have an entry for the machine in your /etc/hosts file
2: Create a file named /etc/hostname.hme0  (assuming the two ultras have the
                                              same NIC)
    Put either the ip address of the machine or the hostname of the machine
     in this /etc/hostname.hme0 file.
3: ifconfig hme0 192.152.1.1 up  (of course, replace 192.152.1.1 with a valid
                                   ip address)
     This entry will need a netmask argument if you are subnetting.

david hansen

p.s.- No rebooting should be necessary. If this fails I would open the machine
        and make certain that the NIC wasn't jarred loose during transport.