[Sunhelp] Re: ?: video memory capacity on SunPCi

Al Amaral - SunSoft Engineering ama at ska.East.Sun.COM
Mon Aug 23 14:18:31 CDT 1999

>> > Anyone who knows the default video memory capacity on SunPCi?
>> > I heard that the DRAMs of SunPCi can be mapped into video memory on SunPCi
>> > with
>> > 0.5MB~4MB. Really?
>>
>> Really!  :)
>>
>> What we're discussing, of course, is the video memory for the external VGA
>> display ONLY.  The characteristics of the X video display (max resolution,
>> max bit depth) are determined by the current settings of the X server.  (In
>> other words, if you have a Creator 3D which supports 24-bit color but your
>> desktop is configured to use 8-bit color, SunPCi will be limited to 8-bit
>> color depths only.)

If you have a Creator 3d you should be able to run either 8 bit or 24 bit,
regardless of what the X desktop is set to.  In fact, any display adapter
which supports 8 and 24 bit simultaneously (as shown via
/usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo) will support either 8 or 24 bit mode.

There are *SOME* display adapters which support ONLY 8 or 24 bit mode, and
not both.  SunPCi should do the right thing, i.e. if you configure SunPCi
for 8 bit, reconfigure your desktop for 24 bit, then restart SunPCi, it
will detect that 8 bit mode is no longer available and start up in 24 bit
mode...  It will also show that only 24 bit mode is available if you look
in the Display control panel app.

--Al--