[Sunhelp] Internal dds3 tape unit

Leon Halford - Open Systems Solutions Ltd Leon.Halford at opensolutions.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 16:46:36 CDT 1999

Eddie,

There is no reason why this should not work. The Sun DDS3 tape drive is a
standard SCSI tape drive with normal cable configuration. In actual fact it is a
rebadged HP drive (Vendor ID = "HP      C1537A", "HP DDS-3 4mm DAT ").

Simply acquire the appropriate cable which converts the internal connector to a
50 pin connector (a spare Sun unipack should have the correct connectors
inside).

Install the SCSI adapter driver under Control_Panel->SCSI_Adapters within WinNT.
Then configure the tape drive under Control_Panel->Tape_Devices. If necessary
acquire the appropriate NT driver from the HP website.

This is obviously an unsupported configuration from Sun however!

Leon Halford.

Open Systems Solutions Ltd - Systems Integration / Sun(tm) Authorised Reseller
         60 Lombard Street, London, EC3V 9EA   Tel: 0171 464 8453