[Sunhelp] Environment & Routing Questions

Paul L. Terzulli pterzull at mitre.org
Mon Aug 16 11:37:05 CDT 1999

--------------CC1FEAB331669428D33F938F

Greetings & Salutations:

I am setting up an application on Sun boxes and have run into a few
configuration issues that I am looking for assistance with, any guidance
would be appreciated.

1.  I am trying to configure the PATH variable for a Solaris user
account running the Korn shell, as well as the "root" account.  I
understand the different shells have different files that set this
variable, but I have been having difficulty successfully making these
changes.  I have edited the
..profile file many times to reflect the correct setting, but it does not
seem to work.  What is the correct syntax for this variable for the Korn

shell?  On Sun running the Ksh, what is the correct file to set this
variable?  Are there multiple files?  What about for the root account?

2. I need to change the type of shell from C to Ksh.  I used admintool
to change the shell type, however, the home directory is still showing a
".cshrc" as the only user environment configuration file.  Should this
not change to a ".profile"?  How do make sure the change of
shell type was processed?

3.  I need to establish IP routing on these machines to specific
hostnames.  I understand how to set up name resolution services, however

I need the procedure to establish everything for server to server
communications specifically for email (i.e.  a default router, etc.).
Where can I
find this information?

Thanks.

P. Terzulli

--------------CC1FEAB331669428D33F938F

begin:vcard
n:Terzulli;Paul
tel;pager:800.860.8065
tel;cell:732.207.5288
tel;fax:732.542.3679
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.mitre.org
org:The MITRE Corporation;Battle Command Systems
adr:;;145 Wyckoff Road;Eatontown ;New Jersey;07724-1895;United States
version:2.1
email;internet:pterzull at mitre.org
title:Network Systems & Distributed Systems Engineer
fn:Paul Terzulli
end:vcard

--------------CC1FEAB331669428D33F938F--