[Sunhelp] Backup server sizing . . .

Steel, Nick - TPNWS NSteel at sempra.com
Tue Aug 10 16:12:11 CDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE374.FF5FAF88

I'm in the process of sizing out a backup server up here. I'm looking for
some feedback from other folks who have gone through this before....

In two years, I expect to need 8 DLT7000 drives in order to be able to get
everything to tape within an 8 hour window. Initially, I spec'ed out a 4
processor 450 with 2GB of memory and a pair of two headded UW Diff SCSI
adapters to handle the job. However after talking to one of our vendor's
SE's, they are recomending a 6 to 10 processor E4500 with 2GB of memory to
handle the throughput of the 8 tapes running concurrently.

To me, that seems a little bit out of range. What do you guys think?

TIA!

-- Nick Steel
Infrastructure Technologist
Distributed Server Infrastructure
Sempra Energy
V. 323-780-5042
E. nsteel at sempra.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEE374.FF5FAF88

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Backup server sizing . . . </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm in the process of sizing out a backup server up =
here. I'm looking for some feedback from other folks who have gone =
through this before....</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>In two years, I expect to need 8 DLT7000 drives in =
order to be able to get everything to tape within an 8 hour window. =
Initially, I spec'ed out a 4 processor 450 with 2GB of memory and a =
pair of two headded UW Diff SCSI adapters to handle the job. However =
after talking to one of our vendor's SE's, they are recomending a 6 to =
10 processor E4500 with 2GB of memory to handle the throughput of the 8 =
tapes running concurrently. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>To me, that seems a little bit out of range. What do =
you guys think?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>TIA!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- Nick Steel</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Infrastructure Technologist</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Distributed Server Infrastructure</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sempra Energy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>V. 323-780-5042</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>E. nsteel at sempra.com</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>