[Sunhelp] Tape Drive -- Block or Raw Device?

CEO Dan Jameyson jameyson at iwosys.net
Tue Aug 10 16:03:33 CDT 1999

I'm pretty sure a tape drive is a raw/character device. On other unices,
if you try and make a file system on a tape drive (yes, I tried to do it
as a joke) it will spew out errors about it not being a block device.
It's very logical with a tape, as it is "streaming" data off without
much regard. Yes, it's annoying, and hence we don't use tapes much
anymore - since real mass storage is cheaper and more reliable. ;)

Seriously, try and write a filesystem and mount the tape - that will
sure enough tell you're not believing me, hehe.

Dan Jameyson