[Sunhelp] Network tool

Wayne Schmieder wschmied at CellNet.com
Tue Aug 3 14:31:40 CDT 1999

Sun does have some products.  The older Sun Net Manager, and more recently
Sun Enterprise Manager, currently release 3.0.  I'm not particulary
impressed with EM.  We were running version 2.1 over the last six months,
and its not what I would call an aid to an administrator.  It is a vary
imature product that requires a lot of development to perform minimal
enterprise management.  Supporst primarily CMIP, it does support SNMP v1,
but now vary well.  Compiling the MIBs into ASN1 and CMIP is requied.  COTS
MIBs often fail to compile in ASN1 (SNMP).  These very same MIBs work fine
under other network management platforms.  If you choose to focus on the
CMIP side, in therory you have a superior tool; however CMIP is 10 times
greedeir on system resources than SNMP, that not an exageration.  If you
like to do development work this product may be for you.  If you want a
finished product look elsewhere.  I previously used  DEC Polycenter about 5
years ago,  with no prior knowlege of network managmenet and no
documentaion, only the release notes, I was able to within a day, start
Policenter, discover our worldwide netork, 37 different domains and have a
topology map that provide two layers, LAN and WAN.  I was fine tuning the
default thresholds and receiving my automated report on any performance
issues each morning when I arrived.  When you start managing a network you
want a product to reduce your workload, not give you more to do.  CA
Associates I beleive Markets it now.  From what I understand it improved
considerably over what  5 yeasrs ago was an outstanding product.  I should
give SUN a break, we just installed EM 3.0 is supposidly improved over 2.1.
We only installed a week ago, so I can't attest to the improvements.  I can
say at this point its not a plug and play solution. Sun support is minimal.
If you only have one machine I suggest you get a hold of one of the many
free Perl SNMP agents and start build your own.