[SPARCbook] maximizing my SPARCbook 3GX

Justin Haynes justin at justinhaynes.com
Tue Feb 8 19:24:31 CST 2011

Thanks, this is useful to know.  Unfortunately I cannot yet find a SCSI to
ide interface still for sale.  That link is still live but the buy button no
longer allows you to purchase.  Time to solicit the forums and craigslist I
suppose.

With so much storage, and a memory efficient OS like OpenBSD this laptop
could be practical for many tasks.

On Feb 8, 2011 4:36 PM, "Michael Parson" <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Justin Haynes wrote:

> List -
>
> I am running OpenBSD 4.8 STABLE on my SPARCbo...
I've got a this IDE->SCSI adaptor in my Sparcbook:

http://online.century.co.jp/BittradeTest/e_shop/chb25int.html

and I've had up to an 80 gig HD hooked up to it, and yes, the OS can
see and use the full 80 gigs.  I don't think the interface is fast-wide
SCSI, just Fast, so, 10MB/s at best.

> Also, I understand this hardware can take 128MB of RAM, but I keep reading
> unconfirmed reports...
The system only has two slots in it, and they can only take short SIMMs,
the sticks that allowed it to go to 128M were double-thick units.  I
really doubt you'll be able to get better than that and still fit the
battery in there.

> I was pleased to have Miod's help on the sparc at openbsd list where he told
me
> how to edit the d...
Yup, I don't think anyone ever made PCMCIA USB cards, just PC-CARD
(32bit) ones.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org