[SPARCbook] love this computer

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Nov 12 14:57:06 CST 2005

I use my sparcbook almost everyday, it lives in my living room, on a
tv-dinner table.

Well, today, I decided to clean my carpet, which I do about twice a
year, to get rid of what my 3 year old can dribble and drop.

Instead of powering down the system, like I should have, I just picked
up the table and carefully balanced it on the couch, like I've done
several times before, and started the cleaning process.

When I was nearly done, I heard a crash behind me and when I turned
around, I saw my poor Sparcbook upside on the floor.  I picked it back
up, opened the screen, saw that it wasn't broken, set it on the couch,
and finished the cleaning process.

When done, I set the table back up, plugged in the sparcbook, and
powered it up.  No-go, watchdog-reset, over and over. *sigh*

I decided to take it apart and see what might have rattled loose.
First, I tried just re-seating the RAM, but that didn't give me any love
either.  Out came the screwdrivers.  Unfortunately, I don't have any
pictures, my ex-wife borrowed the digital camera for Halloween and hasn't
been returned yet.  I did manage to get the whole thing apart, none of
the screws were hidden, nothing really snapped together or anything.
The hardest part actually turned out to be the fact that the CPU's
heat-sink has a LOT of grease on it and that makes it stick to the base
of the case.

Since I had it apart, I decided to fix a few other things that were
cosmetically wrong with the case.  The two little plastic feet on the
back of the system that can be flipped down to raise it up a little were
broken off.  I have a couple of spare systems (P1000s, thanks Bill!),
and I took one of them apart to pull what I needed.  Got those, and was
able to use a small piece cut from a mouse-pad to put some spring back
in the battery-cover latch.

I then started the re-assembly process, carefully reversing my steps.
Again, thankfully, it goes back together pretty easily.  Once I got both
systems back together, I didn't even have any parts left over!

Then for the real test, power it back up.

Success!  I'm tying this message on it!  These things are built like
tanks! =)

Now, I just need to remember to power-this off next time and not leave
it precariously balanced on the couch.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org