[SPARCbook] Greetings from new list member + a few questions

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Nov 2 07:53:41 CST 2005

Greetings!

My name is Philip and I've recently acquired a Sparcbook 3000XT.

We got the machine at work about eight years ago when we needed a
portable copy of some software that was only available for UNIX.  Since
then, a few of us have used it for site visits, working at home, etc.,
until earlier this year when we finally migrated to the Windows :-(
version of the software.  I asked for the Sparcbook and I now have it at
home, so I've been searching around for more information.

So, my opening questions:

Does anyone know what the Tadpole mod was to allow the machine to accept
the largest SIMMs?  I have a suspicion that it was merely moving the
soldered links for the supply voltage - something even such a mediocre
wielder of the iron as I could manage!

Is there an up-to-date faq?  The only one I could find, at
http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/docs/SparcBook-FAQ.html, is pretty good, but
lacking in info on later Solaris releases; and some of the Tadpole links
no longer work.  In particular, my home computer is a SunBlade 100 and
I'd like to be able to run the same version of Solaris on both
machines...

Any tips on rebuilding the battery?  A colleague left it switched on at
her desk once on a trip, and there was a power cut.  Ten A-size NiCd
cells go in the recycling, but the rest of the battery pack appears
unharmed.  If I can still find the bits...   (It probably should have
shut down in a controlled manner in that situation, but it didn't - a
long story which I'll tell if people want it)

Finally, do two 9.5mm hard drives fit one above the other in the drive
enclosure?  Anyone made up any cables to connect them?  (I'd guess the
answer to these two questions is No, but there's no harm in asking...)

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432