[SPARCbook] Which BSD, and will anyone ever do the pcmcia bridge?

Thomas Roehr troehr at nj-onramp.com
Thu Mar 6 09:54:01 CST 2003

Koyote wrote:

>Right, and the kernel is much slower. that's why I'm ignoring
>linux. which part was I wrong about?
>

>>Koyote wrote:
>>
>>>SO, I'm torn between open and netbsd (I'm ignoring linux all together
>>>since it doesn't seem to have pcmcia bridge support and it's generally
>>>worse to run form a comfort standpoint than Sol 2.6)

Your comments on the lack of the pcmcia bridge chip support, and a
comfort standpoint from Solaris.

A casual review of the kernel code shows the same level of support for
the pcmcia bridge between Linux and the BSD's.

I find the 2.4 kernels that I run to be much snappier then Solaris 2.6,
and it does not have heat issues. I have had up times of over 100 days
with linux (and then I rebooted for a different issue). Once I unpack
from my move, I will build a 2.5 kernel on a 3GX, and report the results.

As for Linux vs BSD speed, be serious. If you want speed, get a
different machine. You have already said you would use Solaris if you
can get a 802.11 driver, so now stating speed is important is
contradictory. The "My OS can context switch 10 usecs faster than yours"
is a little lame.

I am sure you would happily use Linux if someone finished off the pcmcia
issues.

Tom