[SPARCbook] Which BSD, and will anyone ever do the pcmcia bridge?

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Wed Mar 5 12:14:06 CST 2003

Michael Lorenz <ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de> writes:

> On 05 Mar 2003 00:35:32 -0800, Koyote <koyote at koyote.cx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> Stick with Solaris. If you have 64MB or more it will run
> >> happily. It does
> >> what you want and it does it *now*. You will get almost any software you
> >> may wish, sometimes with a little hassle but Solaris 2.6 is still pretty
> >> up to date in most points. And it supports all your hardware ( not too
> >> sure about wavelan, the driver may ba picky which cards it likes )
> >>

> > Well, that's the whole enchilada there. I'd deal with text console only
> > if I had to to get wavelan on this. But it doesn't-as far as I can
> > tell-exists for 2.6
> There is a driver for some PCMCIA wavelan cards for Solaris 2.6 - more
> or less unofficial from Tadpole, no idea which cards are suported ( I
> think some Lucent 2MBit cards should work ). I bugged the Tadpole
> people several times but couldn't get any useful info out of
> them. Check the mailing list archive, the wavelan topic comes up
> pretty often.

I often bring it up :)

so far in the past couple years here, I've not seen anythign that works
except on some unobtanium old 2mbit card with a different chipset.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I no one has gotten online via
a regular wavelan card on soalris 2.6 in a sparcbook.

I'll have to look again, but I'm 99% sure, given the past discussions.