[SPARCbook] [Newbie] Many questions

Michael Lorenz ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jun 23 08:01:22 CDT 2003

Hello,

Sorry, I can't say anything about Linux on the SPARCbook, mine happily runs
Solaris 2.6 because I need the ISDN part.
The mousestick uses a slightly different protocol than standard Sun mice,
maybe you need a patch for gpm and X.

> Other questions will remain?
> How can I access floppy disks?  pcmcia?  scsi?
The SPARCbooks came with SCSI floppies.

> How can I rapidly transfer data?  serial?  ethernet?
Definitely Ethernet. The serials are just standard Sun serials, good as
console but not a lot more.
You can use the same cable as the SPARCstation 10 or LX to connect a
transceiver. All Suns have pretty decent network hardware, the SPARCbook
easily manages to saturate a 10MBit network.

hope this helps a little
Michael