[SPARCbook] OS for Sparcbook S3

Collin Anderson col22 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 19:07:27 CST 2003

I recently came across a SB S3 at a garage sale ($5, and its ram his
been maxed out to 64MB!) but its HD is blank.  I need an OS, preferably
Linux. I'd like a GUI of some sort. I don't care about power management,
I'll be using it as a car-based computer.  I've tried Redhat and Debian.
(and Solaris, but its pure unix, and I really don't want to go through
the headache of installing XFree, or if it will even work). Solaris
worked, but anaconda crashed under Redhat right when I finished the
initial setup, and it was about to start the actual installation. It
gave me a bunch of exceptions on various programs, most relating to the
installer (anaconda). Debian just flat out couldn't find the kernal
image once it got past all the configuration. Can anyone help? Thanks!