[SPARCbook] Re: Wireless networking

Joacim Haggmark joacim at ludd.luth.se
Sat Jan 25 21:28:14 CST 2003

> What is really needed, is a Solaris driver for a bog-standard 802.11b
> PCMCIA card (vapourware at present!).

Last year I started porting the wi-driver from FreeBSD.
It supports both the Prism2 and Lucent chipset. It was possible to
ifconfig the interface and I saw that the card choosed the correct
channel etc but I never got any receive interrupts back and I didn't
have any equipment to sniff 802.11b so I could see if I was
able to send anything or not.

One thing that could be a problem is that in the exemple pcmcia drivers
they use csx_MakeDeviceNode and I can't use it because it doesn't
have any option for setting the device cloneable. I used
ddi_create_minor node directly instead but I don't know if
csx_MakeDeviceNode does something else.

It was more then six month ago I worked on it the last time but
hopefully I'll have some time to finish it. Now I have some more
equipment and I was also planning to test it on Solaris x86 but
I have had problems installing it on my Thinkpad R31 (well, I can
install it but it won't boot after).

	Regards   Joacim Hdggmark	joacim at ludd.luth.se