[SPARCbook] OS for Sparcbook S3

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Feb 1 05:59:33 CST 2003

On Saturday 01 February 2003 02:07, Collin Anderson wrote:
> I recently came across a SB S3 at a garage sale ($5, and its ram his
> been maxed out to 64MB!) but its HD is blank.  I need an OS, preferably
> Linux. I'd like a GUI of some sort. I don't care about power management,
> I'll be using it as a car-based computer.  I've tried Redhat and Debian.
> (and Solaris, but its pure unix, and I really don't want to go through
> the headache of installing XFree, or if it will even work). Solaris
> worked, but anaconda crashed under Redhat right when I finished the
> initial setup, and it was about to start the actual installation. It
> gave me a bunch of exceptions on various programs, most relating to the
> installer (anaconda). Debian just flat out couldn't find the kernal
> image once it got past all the configuration. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Yes. Redo the Debian thing, and find out why it doesn't find its kernel. I
never came across this problem, normally he's supposed to get the kernel
from the rescue floppy disk and install that.

What you can also do is to get an alternative kernel image while the thing's
still in the last stage of the install. I recommend you download a kernel
package from Debian on another box and disassemble it using:

ar x package
tar -xzvf data.tar.gz

find the image, wget it into the sparcbook-busy-installing-debian, and
configure silo or whatever manually. reboot. apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4.whatever. Have fun.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be