[SPARCbook] Sparcbook problems

Liam Liam1f at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 15:25:30 CDT 2003

Loads of problems here! A start is that I don't get anywhere clicking on the
"Sparcbook Archives" link. Are they combined in the Sunhelp, Geeks and Rescue
parts?
   I recently got hold of of a SB3xp from a member of this list. Very tidy
example, and loads of bits. Unfortunately, it was damaged in transit. The
memory fell out, obviously rattled around, and broke a component labelled C89
on the lower circuit board (S3-XPBASE REV 1.4). I found the remnants of that;
D25 appears to be missing, too. At the moment, the SB doesn't see disks.
Tadpole support said they couldn't supply the information (ie what the values
of the components are) and sent a service price list. Phenomenal! Do cicuit
details exist anywhere?
   Before I found this out, I put the IBM DVAS-2810 disk into my Sparcbook 3
to check it. It worked, but I didn't have a password. In my haste, I tried to
install Solaris 1.1.2 on it. I've never seen that before. It also gave an
option to format it. I've never done that before. So I did, anyway. And
labelled it. And when it didn't work I labelled it again......... When I found
out that I should have used a backup label, at some point that I've never been
able to replicate, it showed a list of about 4 backup labels that all read
something along the lines of "corrupt label - bad magic number" which is what
it says when formatting/labelling anyway.
   I have tried format with disks for Solaris 2.4, 2.6 and 9. As I'm not sure
of what I'm doing, though, I may not be helping things.
   This is the first opportunity to try a disk over 520 MB. The other one that
came with it is 2GBs. I'm not going to risk that one untill I've got a bit
more understanding of what's going on. I've got an SS2, SS5 and an Ultra5 that
just installed Solaris on their Bad Magic Number disks. I hoped this would do
the same.
   Any help would be really gratefully appreciated. I'm happy to try anything,
and I'll let you know how I get on.
   Thanks in advance.
                                     Cheers, Liam