[SPARCbook] Sparcbook S1 OSes

Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 08:42:35 CDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:22:40 -0400 (EDT)
"Wm. Josiah Erikson" <josiah at insanetechnology.com> wrote:

> So I may be able to install linux using the 2.0.x kernel on it if I'm
> really crafty? The little boot menu it gives me when I turn it on seems to
> be not very friendly about booting other OSes...

I've never done anything other than turn on an S1 or S2, and then turn it
off again - that menu is horrid, and I had no interest in learning it. The
Linux 2.0.x kernel is a very slight *possibility*, in that there are
interesting comments in the source code for the kernel.  I've never tried
anything like that - by the time I arrived there were only two S2's in use
(one network CD writer and one DNS server), and they have long since been
retired.

Anyone who has ever joined a programming project after the main coders
have left will attest to the joy of trusting comments in source code :)

> Thanks so much - it's cool to have somebody on the list who actually works
> for Tadpole :)

Thanks, but that's perhaps a bit misplaced - the single most useful item
of advice I can recall giving is that the little hole next to the LCD
status display on an S3/S3000/P1000/N40 is not a reset button but the
microphone, and jabbing it with a paperclip is not a good idea...

TTFN,

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole Technology
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/