[SPARCbook] Weitek P9000 programming information

Michael Schwarz mschwarz at multitool.net
Sun Nov 24 12:06:40 CST 2002

Does anyone know where I might obtain programming information on the P9000?
Register specifications, etc.?

I have an old Sparcbook3 (pre-GX) that I am trying to make good use of by
getting Linux up and going on it.  Well, I have Linux up and going, but I
can't get the GUI going since the Linux kernel has Frambuffer support for the
P9100, but not the P9000.

Weitek appears to be basically out of business, with portions of their IP sold
off to Rockwell Intl.  Weitek sold their video chips to various VARs.
Programming information appears to be hard to come by.

Of course, there is a version of Xfree86 (of the Intel variety, apparently)
for the P9000, but I think learning the guts of the P9000 by digging through
the source for Xfree would be like learning the guts of a motorcycle by
digging through the space shuttle.

Does anyone have a reference on the Weitek P9000?

--
Michael Schwarz
http://www.multitool.net
mschwarz at multitool.net