[SPARCbook] My Sparcbook3 adventure (Debian X config?) (long)

Michael Schwarz mschwarz at multitool.net
Sun Nov 17 11:20:27 CST 2002

Greetings.  I am new to list, and although I did hunt through the web and
mailing list archives for FAQ's and messages that touched on my questions,
I'm sure I've missed material that has been covered here before, so please
forgive my "newbietude" and bear with me.

A friend of mine gave me an old Sparcbook3 (as far as I can tell, it is a
plain-old Sparcbook3 with the 50MHz sun4m architecture, the 32M Ram, and
640x480 display) which he got when a company he worked for went under.  He
had no passwords, account references, anything.  It has the built-in scsi
drive (appears to be a 1.x Gig drive), the 10M ethernet (with 10-base-T
transceiver, thank goodness) and that's it.  No floppy.  No CD-Rom.

I won't bore you with the details, but through network sniffing and
persistence and some fun with my Linux routing tables, I managed to root the
box only to find a nearly useless system which had been stripped down to the
bare minimum needed to support a demo of whatever software this defunct
company was selling (clearly this was a saleperson's laptop).  (When I
managed to get the passwd and shadow files off the box and run a cracker on
them, the root password turned out to be "demo."  The cracker exited so fast,
I thought it had failed for some reason.)

I had hoped to have a "Solaris/SunOS server" in my "lab," but it had no
compiler, no man pages, no useful server software of any kind.  I thought
about cross compiling gcc, but decided if I was going to go to that trouble,
why not install a different OS?  I then went on to have some fun setting up a
Lintel box to be a bootp server for Debian GNU/Linux for sparc.  I was pretty
danged happy when it worked.

So I now have Debian GNU/Linux running on my Sparcbook3 and running well, with
the exception that X configuration seems to be beyond me.  In poking through
the archives, I've found the www.nj-onramp.com package of a 2.3.x kernel that
will support framebuffer and I've seen testimonials that the "X server
works," but I'm frankly a bit scared to start putting a patched RedHat 6.1
kernel into my Debian install.

Is there anyone out there experienced in this area who would be willing to
exchange a few e-mails with me to help me get a working X server up on my
Debian GNU/Linux based Sparcbook3?  As an incentive, I would write up a FAQ
or mini-HOWTO which I will post on my web site (www.multitool.org) and offer
to the Linux Documentation Project, thus perhaps cutting down on the number
of posts to the mailing list like mine.

Note that I am not bound to Linux.  If one of the *BSDs will install on the
Sparcbook with the X server working out of the box (and provided they can be
installed over the net with only a bootp transferred boot image), I would be
happy to consider those instead.

In any case, I look forward to lurking on the list until I know enough to join
in!

--
Michael Schwarz
http://www.multitool.net