[SPARCbook] Re: Start-from-scratch full procedure for PCMCIA ethernet card?

Chris Powell Chris.Powell at zarlink.com
Fri Jul 19 03:57:25 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:55:40 -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that I have a supported card: but I *can't* plumb
> the interface because I don't have the entries in /dev or /devices
> to support it. (*Why* I don't have them is another issue: I certainly
> never deleted them, but OTOH this is a used machine, so perhaps someone
> else did...or perhaps they never existed.)

If I remember correctly, just inserting the card will wake up the PCMCIA
daemon (provided you have it installed - check for PCMCIA drivers using
pkginfo) and create the /dev entries (not sure you even need to boot -r).
If your card doesn't say on it '3c589B' or '3c589C' then it's probably
NOT supported - even the plain '3c589' and other '3cXXX' cards are not
supported.

So, do this:

1. Check the card is 3c589B or 3c589C.
2. Check you have PCMCIA drivers installed - pkginfo | grep -i pcmcia
3. Reboot machine with boot -r (to be on the safe side).
4. Check /dev and /var/adm/messages for any reference to 'pcelx'.

I'll dig out my SPARCbook and 3c589B card and try it over the weekend....

ChrisP.