[SPARCbook] P9000 Linux Framebuffer "kind of" working

Michael Schwarz mschwarz at multitool.net
Mon Dec 2 14:07:12 CST 2002

On Monday 02 December 2002 02:04 pm, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> I am with you!  I am VERY interested in your success!  Will you submit
> it to Linus when you have it working?
>
> Thomas

Well, not as I'm doing it now.  I'm a literally transforming the existing
p9100 framebuffer into one that works on the p9000.  That won't do.  I'll
have to add it as a separate source module and configurable option on the
kernel compile.

If I can really get it working, of course I will submit it as a patch to
whomever is the right person (I'm not sure it should go directly to Linus --
my guess is it should go to the person who does the most framebuffer work and
thence on to Linus).  I dont know if it will be accepted into the kernel or
not.  I'm doing this on 2.4.18.  They're on to 2.5.x.  It is support for
hardware that is fairly old.  It is also support for hardware that might be
under NDA restrictions (athough I'll be using XFree86 source code to figure
it out, so I should be all right if they are all right).

Don't expect progress by leaps and bounds on this either.  I have a day job
and I have family, so I do it when I can.  Still, thanks for the enthusiasm.

When I get it working, I will post a patch file to this list so anyone can use
it.  From there, we will see what life it has...

--
Michael Schwarz
http://www.multitool.net
mschwarz at multitool.net