[SPARCbook] Shut down list?

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Fri Aug 9 17:18:51 CDT 2002

>>>>> "dc" == David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> writes:

    dc> Didn't you ask that a few months ago? :-)

yeah, I definitely remember someone did.  and got basically zero
support for the idea, generating lots of noise in the process.

It's kind of annoying that most of the questions are Solaris
questions, not Sparcbook questions.  I think the S/N is pretty bad,
but probably think so because I don't use Solaris.

It seems there is still lots of this iron out there and powered-up,
and I am on many lists with less traffic than this one (Hesiod, Lisp
Machines, BSD wireless, IMC Boulder, Crypt-o-gram).

Shutting down the list just as we are entering a dark age of
increasing Wintel consolidation is IMHO a bad idea.  (ARM in every
PDA, deprecation of pa-risc and alpha, crappy flash-in-the-pan Visual
Basic webmonkey toolkits replacing Unix iron in traditional business
database markets, game consoles with *i386* junk in them) The machines
aren't really useful without certain basic information, and I think if
the list goes away then the FAQ and the PDF manuals Ian posted will
also fade into obscurity.

Bill---please try to transfer the list rather than trying to declare
it officially dead.  Thanks!

--
Le fascisme est la dictature ouverte de la bourgeoisie.
		-- Georg Dimitrov