[SPARCbook] PCWLAN interface??

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Fri Aug 9 07:23:42 CDT 2002

Super-User wrote:

> I'd say you have :-) Perhaps we knew that this should work but now you
> have a working setup
> that you can experiment with. And you provide nice detailed info on the
> card. Perhaps if your succeding further
> you could take a picture of it and pass around.

Pics so far (of the card & it's 'radio' box are at:

http://www.agrijag.com/Images/WaveLAN

> The question now seem to be if you can actually connect to something
> with this card?
> Maybe I understood wrong, but this is a 2M Wavelan card right?, ie. not
> 802.11b compatible.

Actually I have no clue if this is the 2M card or not :)

> Also if you need an external black box with the card its probably about
> as cluncy as
> the external Orinoco ethernet adapter box. I did get that one to work
> with the SB between it and a pc laptop.

Actually the box is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, connected to
the pcmcia card with a 6" cable, so it's not *that* clumsy :)

> Still thats a bit of a clumsy solution, needing an external power suply
> etc., but you can use the latest
> Orinoco/Wavelan cards with it which is nice.
>
> Maybe if you get 2 of your cards you can make a gateway to your internet
> connection and roam around your house wirelesly. But maybe there will be
> trouble connecting to your wireless ISP.

I'm thinking of going down to the ISP's office (it's right here in town)
with laptop in hand, and see if I can borrow an antenna for it, and see
if I can talk to their system with it. (for me if I can't it's kind of
useless)

> Let us know how it goes. This is kind of interesting...

Will do, it's kind of got my interest up too :)

--
-Mike