[SPARCbook] Shut down list?

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Thu Aug 8 11:32:36 CDT 2002

Thomas Roehr wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> >I'm not seeing much activity on this list anymore; is it time to shut it down?
> >
> >Bill

Perhaps the list should be renamed/reconsidered the "portable Sparc
list", which it is anyway
since we tend to discuss sometimes RDI Powerlites, the Voyager Ultrabook
etc. Anything portable
that uses the sparc platform.

Maybe what we are seeing is that the Sparcbook 3GX is getting a little
to slow for most applications,
and the Solaris version 2.6 or 2.7 is of course now 1 or 2 versions
behind.
The screen is very small by todays standard and the battery time is,
well it isnt.
I think most people that need portable UNIX and dont absolutely need a
sparc processor will have unfortunately
switched to X86 laptops for professional use by now.

However, I think it is possible that there may be many people getting
their hands on the older Ultrabook
laptops in the future, and that the discussions will tend to be more
about these systems and their quirks
(but they seem to have less quirks than the Sparcbook so maybe there
will be less to discuss)

Further in the future we have these new Ultra laptops, 777 something for
$8000, the name illudes me for the moment, they will also become
affordable one day (I heard the SB costed $10500 new, faschinating..).

I think many people like to get yesterdays killermachines that they
couldnt even afford to drool over a few years back. I shuld think a
price of $500 or so (I got my Sparcbook when it costed $600) is about
the limit
where you can consider getting a real cool piece of hardware, just for
hobby and some light professional use.

I also agree that there is little trouble with a list with low activity.
Its usually the very unspecific lists that tend to make your mailbox
explode with lots of messages that your not really interested in.

I'd vote for keeping the list and also inviting all sorts of discussions
of portable solutions and machines for the Sparc platform using Solaris,
Linux, xxBSD, free Windows NT or whatever :-)

If anyone whishes to discuss the Tadpole RS6000 or HP machines that fine
by me too.

Just my $0.02

Peter