[SPARCbook] PCMCIA problems

scott sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 05:42:51 CDT 2001

Hey, guys, I'm having a few problems with my 3GS and I was wondering if
anyone could give me a pointer or two to lead me in the right direction...

I haven't been able to figure out a way (without spending money) to really
get anything onto or off of the 3GS I currently have.  The floppy drive I
have seems to be busted, I don't currently have a dialup account anywhere
to use the modem with, and I don't have any compatible PCMCIA network
cards or AUI transceivers...

One thing I do have, however, is a 260M ATA Type III hard disk
(Callunacard).  The
person who sold me this laptop shipped it with it, in fact.  So, one way I
could transfer stuff off of here and back for now would be to format it
with a msdos type filesystem and use it in my other laptop when I need to
get stuff on and off.  Seems silly, but considering all the other silly
things I've tried to get this working withoug spending money, it's not all
THAT silly.

In any case, I can't seem to get the Sparcbook to recognize the card at
all.  In the user guide, it says the following:

> or, if PC file system on drive:

> mount -F pcfs /dsk/c1d0s2:c /pcfs

If I try that, (or /dev/dsk/c1d0s2:c, more appropriately), all it gives me
is "mount: I/O Error".  hmm.

I looked online as much as I could, and i saw the command prtconf being
used at times to show pcmcia devices, and I tried running prtconf, but I
don't seen any mention of pcmcia anywhere in it.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm missing?