[SPARCbook] 3GX running NetBSD PCMCIA Ethernet cards

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 11 09:29:43 CDT 2001

Realize, this is a NETBSD question, not a
SPARCBOOK-specific question - the OS needs to have a
driver to use the card. I suspect that there is very
little driver support for 100baseT cards in the SPARC
port of NETBSD (Intel/x86 port, probably lots of cards
are supported).

How trivial/complicated migrating a driver from
Interl/x86 to SPARC I can not say, but I *guess* it
would be non-trivial (drivers are kind of platform
specific, I would imagine)...

128 Meg for a SPARCbook would not be a reasonable or
"affordable" exercise, based on the current RAM prices
for other platforms (1 Gig for an x86 server is $200).
I would *strongly* suggest getting 2x 32 Meg FPM
Parity RAM (with tin contacts?) for 50-100USD and
learn to enjoy that level of performance.

I believe that you require special SIMMs for 128 Meg
memory expansion in a 3GS/GX/TX, anecdotal evidence to
the contrary noted. The memory subsystem of the
SPARCbooks was only designed for 32 Meg memory parts,
to put a 64 Meg SIMM in would require a custom "double
SIMM" - rare indeed.

Sorry,

Ken

--- "Steve @ musicmine.net" <steve at musicmine.net>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sparcbook 3GX running NetBSD 1.5.
>
> I want to throw a PCMCIA 100Mb Ethernet adaptor into
> it.  But b4 I go get
> one that isn't going to work, any chance someone
> could advise me on what
> works ok?
>
> ....and I've seen the ongoing memory threads, so
> I'll settle for 128Mb
> (currently I only have 32Mb and I wanna
> route/proxy/nameserve from it).
> Anyone know of manufacturers/resellers here in the
> UK that might be able to
> help me upgrade to that 128Mb at an affordable price
> (I s'pose that means
> the cheapest ;> )?
>
> tia,
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations....

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com