[SPARCbook] Solaris 8 ?

Greg sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 15:38:37 CDT 2001

> Speaking of HD's on sparcbooks, I got a 20gig fujitsu HD in my 3GX, but I
> couldn't get it formated to anything larger than 4.3 gig (I think that's what
> it was, this is going from memory).

> I know Sol 2.6 doesn't support more than what is it, 8 gigs?

There's no limit in Solaris 2.6 for SCSI drives, the limit you're thinking
of is for EIDE drives on SPARC platforms.  In this case the drive is
a SCSI drive because of the adapter you are using so that limit does not
apply.

> or so, but does anyone have a format.dat entry for the
> 20gig fujitsu (it's an ide drive connected with an ide<->scsi adapter) to use
> as much of the drive as possible?

I'm using a 10GB IBM EIDE drive in my 3GX.  I originally used it with the
ide<->scsi adapter that came with the smaller drive I got with the 3GX and
that adapter only recognized 8GB so 2GB was wasted.  I later bought a new
adapter and not only does it recognize the entire disk it also is noticably
faster. I growfs'd the filesystem on that partition to use the extra 2GB and
the laptop is a happy camper.

I can't explain why you're only seeing 4.3GB but you probably want to
try one of the newer adapters.

Ken wrote:
> > Also, think of the limitations: SS/5-110 class CPU, 64 Meg (Practical limit,
> > 128 Meg *possible*), expensive HD space ($650 for a 12 Gig drive, $400 for a
> > 6.4 Gig drive)... WOuld you really want to run Solaris 8 on that?

Solaris 8 is _faster_ so, yes, I really would like to run Solaris 8 on it.
In fact I have run Solaris 8 on my 3GX as a "server" but it's not very
useful as a laptop without the Tadpole packages.

-greg