[SPARCbook] After patch cluster, fb no longer loads

Sunder sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 15:26:04 CST 2001

"Devin L. Ganger" wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> I recently got a Sparbook 3GX and bought Solaris 7 from Tadpole for it.
> This week, I'm using it for some software testing that I need to do,
> which requires it to be connected to the Internet, and also requires
> that it be at the same patchlevel as my other Solaris 7 box.
>
> So, I applied the 7_Recommended patch cluster (Dec 25th).
>
> Now, when I reboot the Sparcbook, I get the following error:
>
> Mar 22 06:26:58 britney unix: /platform/Tadpole_S3GX/kernel/drv/ts102: undefined symbol 'pcmcia_activity_count'
> Mar 22 06:26:58 britney unix: WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'ts102'

A-Yup.  I'd suggest you reinstall the OS, extract the recommended patch
cluster and *NOT* install them just yet.

Instead, go through each patch and search the files they install.  If you
see anything related to unix, kernel, pcmcia drivers, etc. remove that
patch from the list to install.

One or more of Sun's patches replaces the kernel for Solaris 7 with one
that has/expects extra symbols/functions, and it also replaces the pcmcia
with the same.  I'm not sure, but I think it also breaks the frame buffer.

So basically apply all patches, except those that touch the kernel or the
pcmcia and frame buffer drivers.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\