[SPARCbook] Off topic, but not entirely.

Steve Conley sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 27 12:32:10 CST 2001

Hey folks;

I've got two machines that I'm trying to sell ... a Sun SPARC 20 which
I've tried
to sell to a friend once but got backed out on, and an SGI machine that
I've put
on e-bay ... lessie, I think I've reached the magical "4" times  and
I've been
crapped out on every time.  Not really sure why, I think I'm just
cursed; these
are fine machines.

Sorry if this is irritating people, but I think this may be of general
interest
to UNIX users such as yourselves :-)

Okay, starting with the SPARC 20, it's a dual 40 MHz SuperSPARC (w/1 meg
cache)
with 96 MEG of RAM (2x16 and 1x64).  It features the 8 MEG VSIMM which
gives it
24 bit color through the monitor port on the motherboard.  I have 1 hard
drive
sled for it, and I can put the I believe it's 1 or 2 gig hard drive that
came
in the machine origionally in it (or I can put no hard drive in if you
don't want
it).  It's got the origional 2x CDROM and floppy drive.  The faceplate
for the
floppy drive, and the mounts for the CDROM, are missing -- you can buy
them
from www.memoryx.com and when figuring out the asking price I considered
that
you would have to buy those parts.

I'm asking $300 for it.  Price is negotiable.  I may accept trades; I
have a
SPARCbook 3Gx w/64 MEG of RAM, 128 M of RAM would be considered in a
trade.
Sorry, not interested in any other SPARCbooks 3Gx or below (...newer
SPARCbook,
though ... :-) ).  I've also got an Ultra30 as my desktop, and I might
accept
trades for Ultra parts.

The SGI machine is a Silicon Graphics Indigo2 High Impact.  It's an
R4400 based
machine, 200MHz processor, with 386M of RAM (maxed out).  It features
the High Impact
graphics board with the 4 MEG texture ram extension.  It comes with the
origional
4mm tape drive (2 gig I think) and 4x CDROM.  There's a drive tray for
the hard drive;
I can put in the origional 1 gig hard drive if you want it, but if you
don't I'll
leave it out (unlike SS20, it takes the SCSI connector that looks like a
wide IDE
one ... 50-some pin?  Fah, can't remember, but it's not like the SS20's
SCA drives :-))
It features dual SCSI channels; external devices have their own bus
seperate from
the internal drives.  It has a 13W3 plug in the back for the monitor and
also a
mysterious VGA -looking plug (I've never tried using it); I've been told
any PC
multi-sync monitor will work on it if you get an adaptor (I can help you
find one).
I'm asking $600 for this machine, though it's negotiable.  I have a 19"
SGI
monitor that can go with it for $200 more.  IRIX CDs can be provided
(Burned
copies, but they work, unlike some burned IRIX CDs that don't work ...
sorry, I
don't have the origionals :-(  But they work so it doesn't matter. :-) )

Let me know if you're interested, and thanks.

Steve

Let me kno