[SPARCbook] question about disk capacity

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 23 20:45:00 CST 2001

On Sunday, December 23, 2001, at 02:26 PM, Jonathan Kalbfeld wrote:

> So I'm going to upgrade my sparcbook to Solaris 7, and I'd like to add a
> big laptop disk to it.  I was wondering if the capacity limitation was
> due
> to the OS or something in the OBP?

There is no limitation to the SCSI interface, OBP, or Solaris to the
best of my knowledge - the *only* limitation I am aware of is imposed by
the IDE <-> SCSI converter used.

"Native" 2 1/2" SCSI drives topped out at 2 Gig, IIRC.

My SPARCbook 3TX (TurboSPARC 170 MHz) has a 12 Gig HD and is quite
happy, thank you very much. ;^)

Some IDE <-> SCSI adapters top out at 8.4 Gigs based on some reports...

HTH,

Ken