[SPARCbook] Q: Heat build-up in SPARCbook3 GX "left on 24x7"

Ken Hansen Ken.Hansen at ICTI-USA.com
Mon Oct 23 15:47:48 CDT 2000

Hello all,

I have been running my SPARCbook 3GX 24x7 for several weeks now with no
adverse effects that I can see, I was wondering if anyone else has had
different experiences? I currently have my sb3gx running apache and placed
outside my firewall (it is my DMZ machine off my Linksys router), and when
not serving up its one static page, it is running SETI at Home, very slowly...
;^(

Anyway, the SPARCbook has Solaris 2.6, with the sun cluster patch installed,
along with all the tadpole utilities and their patches, and while the case
gets warm, it is not *real* hot (but I wouldn't want to put it on my lap!).
The laptop sits on a hardwood table, with the rear portion "propped up" on
those clever little "legs." I am starting to assemble my "lab," and as such
will be moving the machine to some wire shelving in my basement (a
relatively cool environment - I am thinking of placing a small 12 V. fan or
two (from an AT&T UnixPC) under the SPARCbook to improve air-flow, has
anyone else done such a thing?

Also, the laptop has remained open for he last two or three months, and
while the display turns off after a period of time (great!), I know I can't
close the case, as the keyboard seems to "vent" heat from the system - what
are folks doing about this? Do they just leave them open? Didn't someone set
some of these up as kiosks? How are you handling heat dissipation?

One final question - by leaving my SPARCbook on 24x7, am I damaging the
battery? The battery is installed, and the LCD shows battery life varying
between 99% and 100% remaining... Is this drawing power through the battery
or working independently? For long-term storage (I have a spare!), should I
leave the laptop plugged in and turned off, or should I remove the battery
and put it away? I am concerned an internal clock battery will give up the
ghost and bring the SPARCbook down, with a broken clock battery...

Thanks,

Ken