[SPARCbook] Re: Tadpole patched Solaris 7 for $350.

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Mon Oct 16 04:02:55 CDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:30:20 -0400 (EDT), "Bob Krzaczek" wrote:

> I import photos quite a bit from digital cameras to my Solaris 2.6
> Sparcbook by mounting the PCMCIA memory cards as "PC filesystems".
> This works great; the camera formats the cards as a FAT disk and the
> Sparcbook mounts them with no problem.

I'm totally unable to see a compact flash card (Sandisk 32Mb) on my 3GS
running 2.6. The PCMCIA driver figures there is something there as the
PCMCIA icon appears in the status LCD. I'm able to see PCMCIA hard discs
(Callunacards) and a static RAM PCMCIA card (actually a REX). A
laptop PC sees the compact flash card as just another windoze disc.

The pcmciad daemon does not create the devices for a compact flash like
it does for SRAM or hard disc. According to the pcram(7D) manual page,
different technology memory cards get different device entries (static
RAM appears as /dev/dsk/c1t6d0sn - which does occur - and flash should
appear as /dev/dsk/c1t5d0sn - which doesn't).

I can't figure what is going on here! I was thinking that perhaps I
need to upgrade to Solaris 7, but from the sound of it 2.6 should be able
to handle compact flash cards fine.

Any ideas?

Chris.