[SPARCbook] Booting off a cdrom or floppy

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Sun Oct 8 01:40:27 CDT 2000

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Michael M Delaney wrote:

> Is it possible to boot solaris 2.5.1 off the floppy?  I tried booting it
> off a cd, but the drive i borrowed from a friend is really old (scsi 10,
> and it dosent have the drive speed marked on it, so its possibley even a
> 1x drive.  Whenever I try to boot off of it, using "boot -SVR",  I get
> errors like "unexpected data phase".  Is their any way to get it to boor
> properly, or to get it to boot of the pcmcia net card?

Make sure you got the drive setup ok.
 - SCSI bus is correct
 - SCSI ID 6
 - Compatible CDROM (Either SUN or one that understands the SUN blocksize
like Plextor)

Then I would type 'boot cdrom'. (Note there is a FAQ dedicated to CDROM's
on SUN.)

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/