[SPARCbook] New SB with Solaris 2.5 - What should i backup

Peter Soderholm helsod at algonet.se
Sun Oct 1 12:17:42 CDT 2000

Hi everybody !

Now I have finally become the proud owner of a Sparcbook after lurking on this list for so long.
It is a 3GX with 32M and 2G drive. It came with everything working, Solaris 2.5 and NCE installed,
with OpenWindows, not CDE (I dont think I care to install that either). Network cable and external monitor cable,
networking seems to work fine, the modem also. Its a really cute litle machine, beautiful brilliant display, in a sort of tiny way.
Its a litle like the same feeling you get with the Libretto, its a complete workstation that looks like it has schrunk...

There was an OS CD with 2.5 HW 1/96. I did an install of it on an external drive and it seems to work, but it does
not have the Tadpole stuff (that I ca find anyway)

I figured I might create a bootable copy of the OS on the external drive and then change the ID, mount it on some directory booting the original disk and then copy over all the Tadpole stuff, including NCE to create a complete backup of my system which I could then keep in a safe place.

The question now is which directories/ parts of the original drive must i copy to the external drive? Where is NCE located?

I may start with the frame buffer drivers to get openwindows to work. Where do I find those (I never had a reason to know how this worked since it always worked out of the box on my previous Solaris installations).
Are ther any list of where the different Tadpole files are located (it didnt appear to be in the faq).

I would be most thankeful for any help on this, I will have to thread lightly and wount be able to experiement so much before I have this secured.

By the way, is there a Java version available for 2.5, and what about patches for Solaris 7, have anyone heard anything about whether they will be put on the ftp site anytime soon.

(more questions will surely follow : -)

Thanks
Peter Soderholm