[SPARCbook] 3GX AC Power Supply

Mat Maessen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 10:48:00 CST 2000

Michael Thompson wrote:

> Anyone have a cheap source for a 3GX USA AC power supply?

Do a search on eBay for an HP F1140A DC power supply. This is a 12 volt, 5 amp
unit designed to power an HP laptop and its docking station. I won the auction
for mine at $18. Highest I've seen them run is about $30.

Once you get one, cut the DC connector off of the end, go to your local Radio
Shack, and buy a coaxial DC power plug, Radio Shack part number 274-1568C. This
will be a 5.0mm outside diameter, 2.5mm inside diameter coaxial plug. Solder
this connector onto the end of the wire, with the center conductor of the wire
going to the center conductor of connector, and the shield of the wire going to
the outer portion of the connector (this is opposite to the way that the
original HP connector was wired).

Presto. Sparcbook power supply.

-Mat