[SPARCbook] SB3 and short reads

Sunder sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 26 08:08:33 CST 2000

Or you can just use the init commands:

init 0  # halts to the open boot prom
init 1  # reboot in single user mode
init 5  # shutdown and power off
init 6  # reboot

and of course: sys-suspend to suspend instead of rebooting/shutdown.

These are immediate and quicker to type in than shutdown -g0.  No warnings
are sent to the users, but since the tadpoles are meant as single user
notebook machines, it doesn't much matter.

There are also the halt and reboot commands, but these don't shut down
cleanly.  (The init scripts actually run the /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d
scripts and tell every script to stop, sync and unmount filesystems, so
they are much safer.)

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------