[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 8 17:01:15 CST 2000

My understanding was that these were used by office furniture sales folks to
configure office furniture "systems" for clients. I suspect they were almost
never run on batteries, that they included trackballs indicates that they
were probably set up for an extended period of time (all day) as opposed to
being "whipped out" to dazzle a client.

That they were kept clean and in a high state of repair is due to their use
as a sales tool (if programmer had them, there would all sorts of sugar and
caffine related stains I bet), and that many of them were run through Rave
(Warranty depot) one last time before being sold on the open market. The
machines were removed from active service while under a very good maint.
contract, IMHO.

Ken