[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

Carl Lewis sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 7 15:49:51 CST 2000

I have a 3000 XT that I have to determine the root passwd for; employee left
without leaving passwd.
The normal method of booting from a cdrom and mounting the existing slice
containing /etc does not work because Solaris v8 10-00 that I used did not
find the internal hard drive.
 I installed v8 on an external disk and it runs fine, sees display as a dumb
mono terminal. BUT sees no internal hard drive.
 The machine boots up on its internal disk so I know it is good.
I do not want to replace the existing os on the internal disk because I have
no tadpole os and the 300 XT is loaded with unique software.
 Anyone have any hardware experience on the 3000 XT?

Resp,

 Carl