[SPARCbook] ppp - a HOWTO configure point-to-point protocol for Sparcbooks

Russell F Maginnis russmag at artnet.net
Sun Nov 5 16:35:10 CST 2000

Question:  How does one configure ppp using Solaris 2.5 and 2.6 on a
Sparkbook3?
Answer:  Find out at http://kempston.net/solaris/connectanyisp.html
The setup:  A Sparcbook3 (50 Mhz) with 1.2 Gb and 12.0 Gb drives freshly
loaded with Solaris 2.5 and 2.6 from Tadpole cdroms.  No ethernet
attachments.  Internal modem.  ISP allocates dynamic IP addresses.
Procedure:  I slavishly followed the HOWTO with the following exceptions
and supplements:
(1) During the Solaris loads I selected 'networked", "Other", and
assigned my network address as "5.6.7.8".  See the Tadpole instructions
for setting up ppp (but don't do anything else they advise.)
(2)  On the 2.5 disc I used NCE to set the modem volume at maximum.
(3)  In the admintool part of the setup I selected port c, clicked
"Expert" and used "Modem-dialout only", Baud rate:  "38400", service
enable, "initialize only", "create utmp entry", "zsmon", "connect on
carrier", and "timeout 120".  (See Tadpole's instructions for setting up
a bidirectional modem" but don't duplicate them.
(4)  In /etc/uucp/Devices I used "ACU cua/c - Any hayes"  instead of
cua/b.
(5)  In /etc/uucp/Systems,  I used 38400 instead of 115200.  The reason
is discussed in the HOWTO.
Everything worked the first time.  The ppp connection came up instantly
and stayed up for over two hours as I downloaded a giant file from
ibilio.org via ftp (at ~1.4kb/sec).  I followed the same procedure on
both 2.5 and 2.6 and had the same success.  Though written for Solaris 7
and 8, the HOWTO works on 2.5 and 2.6 on the Sparcbook without a hitch.
The steps are well described, discussed, explained and justified.  Also,
check the author's other references, such as
www.kempston.net/solaris/ppplog.html in which he analyzes the asppp log
file you create during the configuration.  Note that SUDO, recommended
by the author for security (you must run ppp as root) is available as a
package via ftp from ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com.
    I spent years reading and studying administrative handbooks, trying
to use pppd from MorningStar (with purchased technical support), etc.,
etc. and never had a satisfactory result on my Sparcbook until I spent
an hour following this author's advice.  I am ecstatic. Thanks to all of
you for your good advice.  I hope I have given something back. Russell
Maginnis  russmag at artnet.net