[SPARCbook] CPR q's and overheating disk

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Tue May 16 08:52:51 CDT 2000

I've recently upgraded my disk to a 6gb Toshiba drive.  After three days
of installing lots of software, the disk died.  I RMA'd the disk and got a
new one.

The one is still working just fine, however it also overheats.  Installing
and compiling tons of software causes it to overheat, to the point where I
can't use it for more than three hours at a time.

(This is with a small desk fan aimed at the sparcbook and a PC card fan
installed!)

I suspect that when the CPU is working hard it heats up the machine to the
point of failing the drive.  Of course when compiling the drive is very
active and heats up also.  I also suspect that charging the battery heats
things up as well.  I got this impression from feeling the bottom of the
sparcbook.  The drive was warm, but the battery was much hotter.

Under Solaris 7, there is a CDE power manager, I've set this to shut down
the disk after 5 minutes.  I hope that's something that will work in a
Sparcbook and actually spin down the disk when idle and correctly power it
back up.

So my question is: will the Power Manager in Sol7 work correctly with
Sparcbooks, and what else can I do to cut down on heat build up?

(Yes, I do realize that someone not so long ago pointed out that
Sparcbooks have great heat management and that it's silly to point fans at
them, and prop them up, and install PC Card fans, because we'd be "second
guessing the engineers who know more than we do" -- but in this case, I do
have a confirmed, heat problem.)

My 2nd question is that the sparcbook stores the .CPR file when
suspending/restoring to /export/home.  When I've installed this disk, I've
setup the root partition to have 256Mb - ditto for /var.  I'd like to
force cpr to store the .CPR file on either root or var.

I see /.cpr_config, however, this is a binary file.  (While I can see
the path to the file system and the disk device, the file contains
nulls and other binary chars that vi would mess up.) How do I change where
the cpr module stores its stuff?

On my SPARCstation 5 desktop, I also see a .cpr_default which does not
appear on the sparcbook.  Do I just create this one on the sparcbook? Or
is there something else I have to run that builds the .cpr_config file?

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------