[SPARCbook] Upgrading 1.2 MB Hard Drive

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Fri May 5 07:29:42 CDT 2000

Yup, unfortunately, 6gb 2.5" IDE disks can be had for under $200.  The
high price of this is simply the SCSI->IDE converter, which the 1gb sleds
don't have.

However, the good news is that if you should need even more space
afterwards, you can always get a bigger 2.5" IDE disk.

You can easily fit a new drive in the Tadpole sled.  You might wish to
invest in some foam rubber feet, as the 2.5" drive + converter might not
be as high as the old 1.2Gb disk.  Put these on the corners of the case,
in both sides.  (Careful: I said - foam rubber feet, don't use solid
rubber here!)  I beleive I got those from Radio Shack a while back.

The Tadpole Sled is very easy to open.  No screws to worry about.  They
two sides, clip on each other.  You just have to use a small flathead
screw driver to carefully pop open each of the latches, then the drive
just falls out.

You don't have to worry about putting the drive in upside down, as the
cutout for the SCSI ID makes that easily visible.

Also, keep the D connector + SCSI ID dip switch orange cable from your old
drive as you'll need this for your new drive.