[SPARCbook] Upgrading hard drives...

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue May 2 18:13:56 CDT 2000

Hi,

> But it turns out that I have a much older 2Gb disk.  It does have a SCSI
> to IDE interface on it, however, it's not a header, but instead, it's a
> screw on board that attaches to the bottom of the drive.  It's attached by
> some really tiny Torx screws.  I'm sure they're smaller than T8's as I've
> got a T8 and a T10 for use on Apple PowerBooks.

So far all of the several 2GB Tadpole drives I've seen are as exactly
as you describe, including the ones I've upgraded drives on.

It is a T-6, as someone else mentioned.  These are actually not as rare
as one might think, although I vaguely recollect that they are a problem
to get bits for in a couple states because of some legislation and locks
on prison cells which are held together with T-6 screws.

> So off to Rat Shack I will go in search of Torx screw drivers... sigh...

I doubt they have them though.

> Basically, on one end, it accepts the Tadpole sled cable, on the other
> end, it has an IDE bridge connector that plugs into the IBM disk.

Yep.

> The card itself is screwed in to its own rails by the said small torx
> screws (T6? T4?) and the rail is attached to the drive.  I can't see the
> screws that attach to the IBM drive itself as there are no holes, but
> their heads are much bigger than the small torx ones on top.
>
> I've taken a few pix and will put this stuff online as an addition to the
> SAQ available on Scott Yellich's web site.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)