[SPARCbook] Upgrading hard drives...

Bill Strange wstrange at polarisdata.com
Tue May 2 09:27:59 CDT 2000

Sunder wrote:

> So I went and got myself a nice 2.5" drive from dirtcheapdrives.com, $179
> for 6.4gb.  Not bad.  In the worse case, I can always put this disk in my
> Thinkpad...
>
> But it turns out that I have a much older 2Gb disk.  It does have a SCSI
> to IDE interface on it, however, it's not a header, but instead, it's a
> screw on board that attaches to the bottom of the drive.  It's attached by
> some really tiny Torx screws.  I'm sure they're smaller than T8's as I've
> got a T8 and a T10 for use on Apple PowerBooks.

The trick is to use some good needle-nosed pliers to remove the torx
screws.  Perhaps a bit brutish, but very effective.  First remove the
card from the rails, then the rails from the drive.  Then reverse-order
for the new one.  The screws really are not all that tight.

Be certain to observe the board orientation, lest you do the job twice.
I did the job twice.

Bill Strange